becounting.com is a brand new web service that will give any business in the service industry access to a simple and user friendly web based accounting package. It will focus on making the common accounting tasks in a small and medium sized business in the service industry like invoicing customer, importing bank statements and paying suppliers and expenses really easy.
Any business in the service industry that needs an accounting service or accountants that want to provide a service to a number of customers over the web.
We need a simple yet visually appealing, warm and inviting look and feel. A design with a sense of humour without being silly, will be favoured.
A link to a wireframe that indicates a logged in view of all the functional elements required follows but is in no way prescriptive for the layout or design. See http://bit.ly/9ygblI.
The splash/branding message of the site must be big, bold and very clear. Try and emphasize the "be" in becounting and "a" in accounting to suggest a move from a to b or being.
There should be clear buttons for: "Sign up" and "How it works"
The section for "Simple but necessary tasks" must stand out visually since these are the hooks for important functions for users. These actions must look clickable, they are not information bullets.
The section next to simple tasks titled "Keep you're eye on the ball" is a small dashboard of important numbers.
1. Simplicity is very important. Remove all unnecessary visual elements and be careful to distract the user with to much decoration.
2. Use big bold text or icons to get the users attention but only where appropriate.
3. Use strong warm colours to divide the page into clear sections and highlight important elements. Be careful to overdo this and use this effect sparingly.
4. The logo for the site must be text based but must be bold and dynamic and establish a clear identity for the site.
5. The design must scale vertically.
The winner will be asked to provide us with PSD files of the design. Good luck and have fun!