* Update to Finalist Designers - Feb 24 *
Thanks for your efforts so far!
We are excited to see where you are going to take your work in the next days!
From our side, we would like to offer some additional guidance:
1. You can now use different CAPS styles. The original logo is WhazART, but we have heard from many of you that it is very difficult to balance. So - for the final round - feel free to use the format that better suits your design: whazART, WHAZART, whazart, or WhazART - It is important that - if you use the same caps (ie whazart or WHAZART) you find a way to underscore the two words (for example with different font weight, style, etc.).
2. Think how your logo is going to look on a square app tile (or website favicon).
3. Think how your logo is going to look in reverse (ie with black/dark background or white/light background) - We will need both styles!
4. Your logo will need to represent our website that is about helping creative people (like you!) connect with other artists (who have complementary needs/skills) AND connect with professional opportunities.
Please, don't hesitate to write a message to ask for further feedback and directions.
Thank you very much for your energy and creativity!
* Update 1 - 23 hours into the qualifying round *
Please note WhazART is a community for ALL TYPES of ART: visual AND performing. So references to visual art tools (e.g. brushes and pencils) are quite limiting and do not represent the project completely.
We need a LOGO designed that we can use on our website, newsletters, social media, and general communications.
Our initiative is called WhazART and our website is http://whazart.com (feel free to take a look and register to understand the users and the mood). The present logo SHOULD NOT be your inspiration! :)
WhazART is a global social and professional community to connect artists and art professionals. Artists can publish an online portfolio of their work. Art professionals can advertise events and other initiatives around art.
We would like a simple, recognizable logo (think about the big social networks: Pinterest, Etsy, Twitter, Instagram)
It's not necessary to include the website name in the logo (it could make it too busy).
The logo should feel WARM, ARTSY, WELCOMING, FUN, and FRIENDLY - to inspire artists and enthusiasts to join. However it should also be PROFESSIONAL - because we want artists to connect professionally with other artists and key people who work in the art world: museum and gallery curators, critics, auction curators, etc.
The logo must render nicely on all media (digital and printed) so, preferably no gradients and aim for minimalist flat designs. The logo will also be our app logo... so it should stand out among all the other apps in the app stores and especially on the phone screen!
Interesting websites/apps as reference:
- https://www.artsy.net/ - Nice clean identity, minimalistic logo - resembles art gallery/museum printed materials
- https://www.linkedin.com/ - Everybody thinks LinkedIn when talking about Professional Network
- http://www.deviantart.com/ - very popular art community - audience is familiar with
- https://www.behance.net/ - Popular professional community for artists - clean logo
- http://www.conceptart.org/ - Unsophisticated, very pragmatic - close to artists
- https://ello.co/ - very simple and minimalistic design
- https://soundcloud.com/ - good example of logo that describes company product - also rather artsy community
*** Now, forget everything I have written here and go create an amazing logo for a community you'd like to be part of!! ***
We are looking to work further with winner to develop additional items of our identity (font, color palette, icons, etc.).