ABOUT FORTUNATE COOKIE:
The basic idea: every Friday, I break open a new fortune cookie. Where I get said cookie will vary, but the constant will be as follows: whatever message I find inside will be used as my compass of sorts. I don't know if these fortunes will force me to follow their lead, inspire me to lead the charge, or none of the above, but regardless, I'll track and report on the results, whether they are good, bad, ugly, or a little bit of each.
Where will my life will go with the help (or hindrance?) of this weekly random counsel, or will this counsel prove to be as random as one might assume? I'm not sure, but I intend to use the next 52 weeks to figure it out. Let's get cracking.
Of course my hope that my fortune cookie-fueled journey will prove to be appealing to, well, just about everyone, but a more specific target would be 18-49 male & female, though slightly more female skewed.
When Sarah Grace McCandless was four, she knew exactly what she wanted to be when she grew up: a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader or a bus driver. Sadly, neither panned out, so she became a writer instead.
She is the author of two fiction novels, GROSSE POINTE GIRL: TALES FROM A SUBURBAN ADOLESCENCE and THE GIRL I WANTED TO BE, both published by Simon & Schuster. Her work is also featured in anthologies such as SEXY CHIX (Dark Horse Comics) & CASSETTE FROM MY EX (St. Martin’s) and contributed to publications & websites including Venus, Daily Candy, & Forces of Geek.
SG also has over 10 years of brand management & marketing experience, including developing campaigns & online content for clients such as TV networks, film studios, automotive companies, & search portals. What that means is she knows how to play office.
She lives with her husband & her Corgi, Awesome-O, outside of New York, where is currently working on a new book project, semi-stalking Tina Fey, sometimes teaching creative writing through Gotham Writers, and putting the "White Wine and Cupcakes Diet" into daily practice. For more delectable info, visit SarahDisgrace.com.
To get a better idea of the overall tone, style, and voice of the FORTUNATE COOKIE website and blog, please take a look at the current blog entries:
Note, the current design of the website and blog is only meant to be a placeholder. Depending on what logo is chosen, I will tweak the overall design accordingly.
* Should include some sort of fortune cookie graphic or icon, but open to creative interpretations of said image.
* Must include treatment of words "Fortunate Cookie" (please note: that's FORTUNATE Cookie, not FORTUNE Cookie).
* Should also include (smaller) tagline "Pushing My Luck, One Week at a Time."
* Open to the inclusion of Asian characters that translate to "Fortunate Cookie" (this would be in addition to treatment of the actual words).
* Open to most color schemes; in particular I wouldn't mind something with a more neutral palette along with one splash of color, such as a vibrant red, or a scheme reminiscent of the colors you might find in a Chinese restaurant menu/restaurant.
* Open to most fonts, but please see notes below for styles to definitely avoid.
* Would like something that can translate well to a black and white treatment as well as a color execution.
* Avoid Asian-inspired font.
* Avoid any sort of cartoony style font.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions!