We are looking for a logo that we can use on our website, and on stickers, we'll use to promote vagga on conferences (developers love stickers!). We want more people to use our tool and to contribute code back to our project. We're not doing it for profit and don't solicit donations.
We offer something in addition to payment - we'll credit you by name on the "about" page of our website, with a link to your own site.
More explanation of what vagga does might be helpful. To develop some project, programmers need many tools: the programming language itself, libraries, test tools, etc. Vagga allows putting those tools into a "container" which is downloaded as a whole to developer machine. Many individual programs might need to be run simultaneously each in its own container. Vagga allows to run all of that and make sure that all configuration is updated for every developer on the team.
"Containers" explained above are usually depicted as "intermodal containers" (large metal containers used on ships). And "vagga" is Swedish for "cradle". The idea is that programs (or containers) are programmers' children they keep in their cradle for kids. This also covers the idea that vagga is used only for development (contrasting it with software running on production systems, which real users visit).
Ideas for logo:
- Combining intermodal containers and kid's cradle or maybe phone cradle is the idea to start with
- Any combination of multiple containers might be good too
- Use a command-line sign ">_" (without quotes) in a logo and combine with other ideas
- The main way programmers use vagga is calling "vagga run" command, so some combination of ">_" and a running man is also an option
- We sometimes call vagga a containerization tool without daemons (I'm not sure this can be drawn somehow, but maybe..)
Anyway, we're open to other ideas!
Some guidance regarding the logo:
- We're not a company and can afford to be a bit irreverent/different. Please avoid logos that feel too corporate.
- We prefer flat over 3d
- We prefer to have the word vagga un-capitalized - i.e. either all lowercase or all caps.
- Please AVOID a whale, 3-dimensional or blue letter V (too close to our competitor logos)
- We prefer logo to differentiate without full "vagga" label, text-only logos like "samsung" feel too corporate. Playing with leter "V" or totally unrelated graphic are both good
These are guidelines, and we'll consider exceptions if there's a really good underlying idea.