Detroit Gun Works (Green Sky Creative)
I own a small creative agency in Royal Oak, Michigan and need some help designing a great logo for a new client, Detroit Gun Works. We have run out of designers here in-house so we're hoping to find some talented entries that will represent us well. See the rest of the brief for details on what we're looking for. Thanks in advance for you time.
Specific Audience: Gunsmiths, gun enthusiasts and gun retailers who seek a custom product with custom markings. They are rugged individualists who like MADE IN AMERICA.
General Audience: We want to create a buzz through some marketing and word of mouth about the Detroit Gun Works (DGW) Brand before they hit the market and are looking to generate a buzz starting with a kick ass logo that can be printed on T-Shirts and will also be engraved on the actual gun parts they will manufacture. Ideally, we want the brand to be "bigger" than the product if that makes sense. It's very cool and marketable name and want to the logo to be the same and appeal to people who may not even be into guns, but rather just cool looking logos, t-shirts, etc...stuff from Detroit, which tends to be tough, hard working, blue-collar, etc. Detroit is a tough, hard working city and people all over the world know about Detroit and like to wear stuff with anything "Detroit" on it.
The one thing we want the audience to believe...
Access to Detroit power, attitude and precision from the "original arsenal of democracy."
1. Needs to be a clean design that will carry over from print and web into merchandise like T-Shirts, hats, mugs, etc.
2. The main color should be black and I'm open to secondary colors that might look cool and can carry over well. There should also be a 1-color version that's easy to utilize when needed.
3. PLEASE NO GUN, CROSS HAIRS, or BULLET SHAPES IN THE LOGO AS WE WANT THIS LOGO TO STAND OUT AND BE TOUGH AND COOL LOOKING WITHOUT HAVING TO USE A TYPICAL GUN SHAPE. Also, please no Old English "D" as in the Detroit Tigers logo..need something original.
4. "Detroit Gun Works" has to be included in the logo so if you do a version with "DGW" than it still has to have the word mark applied.
5. Adjectives to communicate through the logo: Toughness, traditional, precision, attitude, hard working, old school meets new school.
6. Visual and history inspirations: Joe Louis Fist in Detroit (although we don't want to use the fist as the logo), rum running from the gangster time period across the Detroit River in Detroit, anti-establishment, not an "outlaw" but not a conformist, Harley Davidson, Mack Truck, Mustang Cars, blue collar union workers, etc.
7. Finally, we may use the tagline, "The Original Arsenal of Democracy" along with the logo so if there's a way to incorporate that into a version it would be great.
UPDATE: I have a Detroit Skyline EPS which may be cool to use with your logo concepts, but I'm unable to upload it for some reason so e-mail me at email@example.com if you would me to send it to you to use in your design.