The April Fund
April stayed with the youth homeless shelter, Covenant House, last summer, looking for sanctuary from the street. She was dealing with tremendous emotional pain from a life filled with abuse, degradation, neglect, and fear. And then this August, she was senselessly murdered, her body dumped in the street, just a few blocks from the homeless shelter.
Covenant House (http://www.covenanthouse.org) is the largest privately-funded agency in the Americas that provides food, shelter, immediate crisis care, and an array of other important services to homeless, throwaway, and runaway kids. They are starting a nationwide movement in memory of April to help kids living on the street and combat the violence they face every day.
We challenge you to help us to create the identity for the April Fund.
This new identity – starting with a logo design - will be used in all communications, email, web, social media - like facebook status image, and letterhead.
The April Fund is going to rely on small dollar community fundraising to support our kids in crisis. We need a logo that reflects this collaborative spirit, and we're looking for your help. This is a great opportunity to help shape this project and help us build a community of supporters. Your work will become part of a high profile national campaign.
- Everyday people who use the web – It should be accessible and friendly to everyday consumers.
- Social Media natives – people who are active on Facebook and Twitter and other social media platforms
- We also want to attract the philanthropy community, so they should feel comfortable donating to the Fund.
Use and Format:
- We need a logo that can work on a variety of web platforms – facebook and twitter profile image, blogs, email templates, etc
- The logo also needs to be something that will print well – stationary and merchandise
- We need a version of the logo with and without text as well as versions on black and white backgrounds
- It should work at a variety of sizes and scales
- It should be a vector graphic
Look and Feel:
- It should capture the spirit of the April Fund – Youthful, Strong, Defiant and Hopeful
- The artwork should reflect a project that is being created by community of people working together to make significant change
- Covenant House (http://www.covenanthouse.org) has an existing logo and color pallet. The April Fund does not need to reference this existing design pallet, but since these logos will often appear together, they should be able to coexist sympathetically