Himmel Hünd is a new Australian boutique beer that will launch in the Australian market in January 2015 via limited release.
Brewed and bottled locally in Geelong by an exciting new female brewer, Himmel Hünd is breaking down the gender beer divide to ensure men and women alike can shamelessly enjoy a delicious brew together, uniting friends, old and new.
The brewing Manager, Annabel Meagher, has crafted a European inspired, easy drinking beer to appeal to both men and women equally. A modern twist on a German classic style beer, Hünd offers a refreshing, palatable and unique flavour profile. Importantly Hünd is free from artificial preservatives (to help minimise those pesky hangovers), with the ability to use the brew as a mixer in shandies, beer-tails and in cooking, to encourage wine and spirit lovers to try the product.
Although Hünd is a boutique beer, Annabel wants to ensure that all beer lovers are able to access a good quality brew for a reasonable price. The beer bottle is actually coloured brown to ensure the beer is not compromised with exposure to sunlight, while the actual beer will be pale and cloudy like a witbier. As such the brand should visually represent affordable boutique, not premium priced boutique.
The brand itself is named after Annabel’s dog, Skey, and literally translated, Himmel Hünd means Sky Dog in German. “This is significant because we want to follow traditional brewing methods, use fresh and natural, local and sustainable ingredients, spend time having fun with best friends and Germany is where I first found my passion for good beer.” says Annabel.
Beyond the initial launch, Himmel Hünd will expand distribution across Australia, with international export planned in 2015 to South Africa and beyond.
Designed for low key social occasions such as BBQ's, by the beach, and with friends over a good meal, the target market is men and women 28+ who enjoy good company and good food but can't necessarily afford luxury brands. Himmel Hund sits above Carton and VB but below the price of premium European beers such as Hoegaarden. The beer will be launched in bottles initially with line extensions to follow the first brew later in 2014.
In the lead up to launch, we are looking to engage a design partner to help develop the Himmel Hünd visual identity. The initial installment of work we are looking to commission includes the logo and label design. Future consulting may also be commissioned to input into the brand style guide, website layout and design and future marketing materials.
The story behind Himmel Hünd is particularly important in logo and label creation. Important factors to consider in developing a visual brand identity include:
- Modern Australian beer – German inspired beer style (the brewer actually has a family crest (Meagher) that is attached below that may be utilised in some way in the design)
- High quality, sustainable, no artificial preservatives – yet value based, affordable pricing
- Female brewer, with beer designed to appeal to both sexes and break down gender drinking stereotypes
- Social catalyst that can be paired with food or used in cocktails
- Brand named after Annabel’s dog Skey (Australian Cattle Dog)
- Brown bottle as a constant (crucial for beer quality)
- The logo design should be versatile enough to extend beyond the original beer to brand extension brews (eg pale ale, larger, amber ale)