We need an eye catching icon for our app. The app is well established and already has an icon, but it is very simple and we're looking for a refresh. There are over 500,000 downloads of our app and this number grows at a fast pace each day, so the winning design will be seen by many people!
The apps name is “Baby Phone”, and is published on the Google Play marketplace. The app pretends to be a real phone, making babies think that they are actually pressing real numbers and hitting the “call” button. However, instead of actually making a call when the baby hits the “call” button, the app will open up another screen which will play a random nursery rhyme and displays a picture representing that nursery rhyme. We refer to the second screen as the “call” screen, and in addition to the nursery rhyme and image there are additional buttons which the baby can press to make all sorts of sound effects whilst the nursery rhyme is being played.
Babies and Toddlers often like to dance/shake/move to the nursery rhyme which plays in this “call” screen.
The “call screen” also has an “End” button which, when pressed, will take the baby back to the phone screen where the buttons 1-9 and “call” button are. Each time the baby hits “call” from the phone screen a new random nursery rhyme will play.
Basically, the idea of the app is to make the baby think that they are actually using a phone. It replicates the idea of making a “call”, but instead of the baby really making a call it will play the nursery rhyme which is much more appealing to the baby.
The app can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/….babyphone
Obviously there are screenshots attached which shows both the “phone” screen and the “call” screen.
So what we need is an icon which represents the app. Here are some key points about the icon (we may add more over time):
1. The color scheme MUST be colorful and bright. Babies love bright, colorful icons. Primary colors are good, but feel free to expand on them if appropriate. We leave the decision to you.
2. The icon can be either represent some abstract idea around the concept of a baby phone, or can be much more literal (i.e. having a phone in the icon itself). The choice is up to you. The current icon has 4 buttons which literally represents 4 of the phone buttons, but you do not need to be so literal if you can come up with an attractive alternative
3. The icon should be in a square, rounded border. The current icon does not have any border whatsoever so do not follow the current icons style.
4. You may choose to make the icon appear to have depth (i.e. with shadows/gradients) or not. The choice is up to you as long as the icon is square with rounded borders
5. The 2 main themes of the app is the phone and the baby. However, you can substitute out the phone for musical notes. But the baby must be there. An excellent example of the type of baby we're after is in the icon for this app:
Notice that the baby in that icon is in an "action" pose. We would like our baby to be in an action pose of some sort, with either a phone or musical notes as the secondary element to the icon.
6. One of the main recommendations that Google gives when designing app icons is not to overcomplicate the icon. Putting too many things into the icon is not recommended because the icon will be relatively small (usually 72x72 or smaller) on most phones. So make sure your design does not look cluttered when its size is reduced.
We’ve attached a few images to this contest. They should include:
1. The current icon
2. A screenshot of the Phone screen
3. A screenshot of the Call screen
4. An example of a square icon with rounded corners
Feel free to ask us more questions if you need. We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
There may be more work for the winning artist, as we do need to create a “banner” image for the app which can be used in various places on the web (i.e. Facebook page cover photo). If we do decide to go ahead with a “banner” image then the winner will have first option to quote for that piece of work.
The deliverables we expect should include:
1. The original format of the file used to design the icon (Photoshop or Illustrator or otherwise file)
2. PNG version at 1024x1024 resolution (or if this is not possible then please confirm with us the highest resolution you can provide)
We might ask for anything else that you used to produce the icon.