We are a brand new (hot!) web startup looking for a dynamic badge design that incorporates our brand. Put simply, we are the worlds first emotional tone checker. It works like a spell check, but instead of looking at misspelled words, it analyzes text and gives a report with respect to the emotional tone of the passage, and how it will make end readers feel.
The function of this badge is that it will be a “short” form of the tone report, and it will become an important part of the brand. It is like a “seal”, stating that the passage that was analyzed caries X emotion.
The design will be based off an existing logo and the winner of this contest will possibly be contracted in the future for more design work!
What we are looking for here is a “badge” (think of it as a closed logo, an icon, a crest, a “button” that you can’t press, etc, I am sure you get the jist!). It will probably end up being a circle, but I am leaving that up to you.
It is important that our brand is incorporated in this badge.
Here is our logo:
The brand can be incorporated by using “Bix”, (he is the handsome gentleman representing the “I” in the logo) and/or the “Lymbix” brand name.
What is most important for this design is that the brand is represented, and that the badge is dynamic.
What I mean by dynamic is this: As previously explained, the badge will be a short version of the report. As different text is analyzed, different reports will be generated. It is essential that this badge can change as it represents different reports. There are two main things that will change in the badge:
- The color- As the emotional value of the report changes, the badge, or parts of the badge, should change color. As an example, a very negative text should have a very red badge representing it, while a very positive text should have a blue badge. Maybe Bix would change color, the whole badge, the background, etc.
- The badge text- With the badge, there will be text. The text can be in it, on it, next to it, under, around it, etc., as long as it is represented. The text would be very short, and it is only a description of the text that is analyzed, e.g.: 98% Positive.
- There is also the possibility of actual part of the badge changing. So if the text is like 50% positive vs. 95% positive, a certain box would be less full, or an arrow would be pointing somewhere, or some sort of a face would be more sad or something.It is strongly suggested that if I give feedback to your first draft and you think you have something solid, you should present different versions of the icon (e.g. one red, one blue, etc.) so that I can I can see how the badge will function.
The size of the actual badge will be around 75 pixels across. So although I would like a vector image, the text should be easily readable at a 75 pixels size. What is most important is that the creative juices are flowing and that a colorful badge which caries the Lymbix brand is created, with the capacity to be dynamic.
Obviously all materials need to be original.
Also, while the contest is not guaranteed because my colleague is worried that no one will submit, we will be buying a design for sure, since we need a badge.
Addition: This is not a very difficult design since the brand and logo are already there, so we are looking for some really solid work here. Innovation, talent and a sleek Web 2.0 design will go a long way!
Addition #2: In this case it is important that you look at the feedback I have given to other designs to guide you along. I will be picking out things that many people will likely be doing that I do not want, while pointing out things that I really like in other designs that you may want to consider.
Also, for some inspiration you may want to look at the T-shirt contest I recently held (http://99designs.com/contests/19891).
- Strong Lymbix brand presence
- Strong use of color
- Must have the ability to be dynamic as described
- Looks good (obviously?)
- Vector format preferably, while independent elements are still left modifiable
- Should be a badge and not a meter, unless you can think of something really wicked that I can't live without. I mean it should look like a button and not a long thermometer etc...
- Something that you do not own
- Something bland
- Something cartoony